Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fat Tuesday specials.

   Fat Tuesday Polish specials I should say... no, wait... Fat Thursday Polish specials! In Poland we celebrate Fat Thursday rather than Fat Tuesday (like in the US) and that day is filled with paczki (fried, yeast doughnuts filled with rose jam), and faworki, also know as "chrust" (also fried). You know they are bad for you, you know you will have a sugar/fat coma as soon as you finish your 5th piece, but because it's one of the biggest traditions, you'll do it anyways! As a real Polish gal, I would never break such a great (and delicious) tradition, so I made whole bunch of faworki and enjoyed them the entire day (to avoid diabetes I gave away most of them!). Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

*  2 cups all purpose flour
*  3 yolks
*  1 egg
*  1 tbsp sugar
*  pinch of salt
*  2 tsp vinegar
*  2 tbsp sour cream

*  oil for frying
*  powdered sugar for decoration

Directions:

1. Place all ingredients (without oil and powdered sugar) into a bowl and knead the dough until smooth and not sticky. If it is too dry add a little bit of sour cream.
2. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes.
3. Split the dough into smaller parts and roll it very thin.
4.  Cut the rolled dough into rectangles 2-inches long and 1-cm wide.
5. Cut a slit in the middle of every rectangle and pull one end through the slit.
6. Heat the oil to a high temperature and fry them on each side until golden (about 1-2 minutes per side).
7. Drain the oil on a kitchen towel, dust generously with powdered sugar and enjoy.




   You don't even know how happy they made me... and I'm not talking about eating, but making them. It took me right back to my grandma's kitchen, where I used to watch her make them every year... such a great memory!

Enjoy,
Magda. 

1 comment:

  1. One of my childhood staple treats:) It's been ages since I last ate some. In Romania we call them Scovergi. I think my mom's recipe used yogurt, they were so good. We definitely ate more than 5 and still lived to tell:)

    ReplyDelete