Wednesday, November 28, 2012

50 shades of...

   ... couscous! How many different recipes for couscous salad can you come up with? I have quite few, and I keep coming up with new ones all the time. Couscous is such a versatile and easy ingredient. Cooks in minutes, can be paired with anything, and makes great entrees, sides or salads! Didn't try it as a dessert yet, but who said I'm done cooking? Here is my newest recipe for a vegetarian couscous salad with all sorts of crunchy vegetables:

Ingredients:

*  2 cups dry couscous
*  1 medium zucchini, finely diced
*  1 red bell pepper, diced
*  1 can Garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
*  1 cup chopped peanuts
*  1/2 cup black olives, chopped
*  1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
*  1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette
*  salt and pepper, to taste

Direction:

1. Place couscous in a bowl, add 2.5 cups of boiling water, mix, cover with a tight lid and let it stand for 7-8 minutes. After all water is absorbed, fluff couscous with the fork and let it cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine all chopped vegetables, peanuts, and parsley. Add couscous, balsamic vinaigrette, salt and pepper to taste.


 


   Fresh, crunchy and super satisfying! Zucchini and peanuts are my favorite things in this salad and I had to stop myself from picking them out of all the other ingredients! You can try a different dressing with it, but I think that balsamic vinaigrette is just perfect for this salad.

Enjoy,
Magda.

1 comment: