Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fall or any other season.

   For some people fall is a "soup season". For me fall is a season when I can eat soup all the time, without people asking me: you eat soup in the middle of summer? Yes, I do eat it all year round and I am not planning to change this habit any time soon. Justin doesn't really agree that soup is a dinner itself... for him it's an appetizer or a great addition to a giant sandwich, but for me a bowl of delicious chunky or creamy soup is all I need. Since it's the entire meal for me, I tend to use a "substantial" bowls to serve it in, so that might explain the amount of soup you will get using my recipes. Here is one of them, a recipe for delicious creamy leek and potato soup:

Ingredients:

*  3 medium leeks
*  3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
*  3 tbsp butter
*  2 vegetable bullion cubes
*  salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Slice the leeks (white part and about 2-3 inches into a green part) and put in a bowl of warm water to wash them. Drain and let them dry a little bit.
2. In a Dutch oven melt 3 tbsp of butter, add washed leeks, and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened.
3. Add cubed potatoes, vegetable bullion cubes, salt and pepper. Add water to about 2 inches over vegetables.
4. Cook everything for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are soft. Turn off the heat and blend everything with hand blender until smooth and dense.
5. If you are not a vegetarian try to garnish it with some crisped turkey bacon - delicious!




   You can adjust the amount of water to make is as dense as you like. You can serve it not only with turkey (or regular) bacon, but also with some fresh herbs or a spoon of sour cream. I usually just eat it plain, but I have to admit that this bacon garnish was pretty good and I think it will be my new go to.

Enjoy,
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment