Thursday, October 11, 2012

Dr. Morgan prescribed!

   My very good friend was in rough shape recently, physically and emotionally, and it just happens that I am a doctor and that I had a perfect treatment for her! OK, I might be a "doctor of philosophy", but that only makes me more competent to address problems of life and existence! There is absolutely no better cure for all problems than a good conversation... and a big bowl of comfort food. I'm sure I mentioned it many times already, but just in case you missed, comfort food for me is always pasta, and lots of it! Since my friend is vegetarian I decided to make a white sauce and spinach pasta. Just not to feel too guilty about eating it, and to be able to eat more (the more you eat the faster you heal - remember I am a doctor!) I chose whole grain linguine and fat-free milk. Without further ado here is the recipe (serves 4-6, depending on how much "cure" you need):

Ingredients:

*  1 lb whole grain linguine
*  1 bag of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
*  1 large onion, chopped
*  3 garlic cloves, minced
*  2 tbsp butter
*  2 tbsp flour
*  2 cups fat-free milk
*  1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
*  pinch of nutmeg
*  salt and pepper
*  juice of half lime

Directions:

1. Cook pasta in salted water until al dente.
2. In a meantime, in a deep skillet melt butter on a medium heat and slowly saute onions and garlic until soft (about 10 minutes). Gently salt the onions, it will help to soften them.
3. Add flour and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add milk, pepper, nutmeg, and lime juice. Cook for 6-7 minutes until sauce thickens.
4. Add spinach and Parmesan cheese and cook for additional 2-3 minutes to warm the spinach up.
5. Drain the pasta, add it to the sauce, mix everything together and get ready to indulge!




   It's so creamy and decadent. You have big chunks of spinach in a delicious and cheese sauce, with a hearty pasta wrapped all around it. How can you not feel better after eating this?

Stay comforted,
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment