Sunday, October 28, 2012

Different side of you!

   I have another side dish recipe, that I adore and make very often. It's very flavorful, refreshing, a little chewy and a little bit crunchy. It's a great and different side dish that will impress everybody! Unfortunately I did not come up with it on my own... I kind of took my inspiration from Giada, added my little touch, and serve to my guests as my own! I always make a little bit more than needed for dinner and take it for lunch the next day. Yes, it's that good! Here is the recipe:

Salad:

*  1 1/2 cups Israeli couscous
*  4 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
*  1 apple, finely chopped
*  3/4 cup dried cranberries
*  3/4 cup toasted, slivered almonds
*  1 tbsp olive oil

Dressing:

*  1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
*  1/4 cup olive oil
*  3 tbsp agave nectar (or honey)
*  1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
*  1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
*  1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
*  salt and pepper

Directions:

1. In a pot, heat the olive oil, and couscous and toast for 5 minutes (stirring constantly) until golden brown.
2. Add the broth (stand back, because the couscous is super hot and might splash the broth!) and cook for 10-15 minutes until couscous is al dente.
3. In a meantime, in a deep bowl whisk together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, agave nectar, herbs, salt, and pepper. Add chopped apples, cranberries, and slivered almonds.
4. Drain couscous, let it cool for 5 minutes and add to the salad. Mix everything together and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes before serving.




   Sweet, tangy, crunchy, and refreshing. One of my favorite side salads, which is a great substitute for plain old rice. You can pair it with any meat or you can just enjoy it by itself, it works both ways!

Enjoy,
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment