Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ultimate Polish sidekick!

   It might not be as famous as pierogi or kielbasa, but it's probably one of the most popular Polish side dishes ever (if not the most popular)! I remember Justin's first visit to Poland and his impression that we eat a lot of pickled stuff. He wasn't wrong at all... pickled cucumbers, mushroom, shallots, bell peppers... you name it we will pickle it! But my absolutely favorite is sauerkraut, which is nothing but pickled cabbage. Well, now when I think about it, I don't think I can decide on one favorite pickled vegetable, I love them all. This sauerkraut salad (called surowka) is not only super easy and refreshing, but it also keeps for days in your fridge without losing any flavor (if not getting better). It's perfect for a heavy dinner to lighten it up a little and make it less "guilty". Here is the recipe

*  1 lb sauerkraut
*  1 large carrot
*  1 apple 
*  1/2 onion
*  2-3 tbsp dried cranberries
*  2 tbsp fresh parsley
*  1-2 tbsp white sugar
*  1 tbsp lemon juice
*  salt and pepper

1. Squeeze out the liquid from the sauerkraut. Add shreded carrot and apple, finely chopped onion, cranberries and parsley.
2. Mix everything together and season with lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.




   Very Polish, very tasty and very healthy! Loaded with vitamins, with almost no calories, so if you want double portion of meat go for it! Cranberries are probably not the most conservative ingredient in here, but you know I like to put my own spin on things. I think it's one of the most popular dishes among my friends. Forget fancy meats and deserts, everybody always seems to get seconds of this salad... and honestly, I can't blame them!

Smacznego.
Magda

1 comment: