Sunday, July 22, 2012

Stroganoff Polish style.

   Stroganoff is a Russian dish, but my fellow Polish citizens wouldn't be themselves if they didn't change the dish a little bit and make it "thier own". You probably think that I am being biased, but I definitely prefer the Polish version of it, and that's what I always make. I don't even think I ever had the original version, I just always thought that this is how it's supposed to be until I did some research and found out that all this time I was living a lie. Well, it's too late now, our version of a Stroganoff will always be the original for me and that's how I am going to present it to you.

*  2 lbs cubed beef
*  1 large onion
*  2 red bell peppers
*  2 cups white mushroom
*  4-5 dill pickles
*  2 tbsp tomato paste
*  2 tbsp sour cream
*  1 tbsp olive oil
*  1 tbsp sweet paprika powder
*  salt and pepper

1. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and brown beef on each side.
2. Coarsely chop all the vegetables, add them to the beef and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add 2 cups of water, tomato paste, paprika, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer everything for at least an hour, until the meat is soft and tender. You can adjust the amount of liquid to your liking. I like mine nice and dense.
4. Add the sour cream, bring to boil, turn off and it's ready!




   It's one of those dishes that brings me right back home to my Mom's kitchen. It's a taste of my childhood. I think I have to make it more often. Serve it with a fresh French baguette so that you can dunk it in the broth and you have yourself a delicious "fake" Stroganoff Polish style!

Enjoy.
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment