Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Not as tough as they say...

   One of the many advantages of me writing this cooking blog (besides all my wonderful fans!) is that I take risks, I keep challenging myself and I always try new recipes. I heard so many opinions about how tricky and difficult the perfect risotto is, and I took it as a challenge onto myself to perfect it! In every cooking competition I've watched they always are super surprised that somebody chose to make a risotto, because it's just the easiest way for a ticket home. I just couldn't take it any more and I decided I am going to conquer this "monster" and prove to myself that it's not rocket science! I was debating between mushroom and asparagus and my choice was an asparagus and lime risotto. Here is the recipe (makes about 6-8 portions):
 
*  3 cups Arborio rice (short grain)
*  7 cups vegetables or chicken stock
*  2 cups  dry white wine
*  2 cups asparagus
*  1 large onion (chopped)
*  1/3 cup Parmessan
*  1 lime
*  2 tbsp olive oil
*  2 tbsp butter
*  salt
*  2 tbsp chopped parsley

1. Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces, put into boiling water for 3 minutes, and transfer into ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain the water and set aside.
2. In a meantime heat the broth and simmer it to keep it warm.
3. In a large heavy skillet heat the olive oil and saute the onions for 3-4 minutes. Add the rice and cook until lightly roasted for about 3-4 minutes. Add white wine and and cook until completely absorbed.
4. Stir in 1 cup simmering broth. Cook until broth is almost completely absorbed, stirring frequently, then add another cup of simmering broth. Repeat until the rice is slightly firm in center and looks creamy.
5. Add butter, salt, lime zest, lime juice,  and parsley and cook for 2 more minutes stirring constantly. 
6. Add Parmesan and asparagus, mix everything together and serve it!




   I promise you it's super easy! I don't know why people are so scared to make it and keep scaring others! I love the addition of  a lime zest and juice, it makes the dish refreshing and light. Wine is an obvious plus! You have to try it, it's delicious!


Good luck.
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment