Saturday, May 26, 2012

Maybe some Thai?

   I think "exotic" foods are the one I crave the most. When I was a kid, Thai, Chinese, or Indian cuisine was not available in Poland, so I did not grow up with those flavors. So you know what, I'm compensating for all those years right now! Usually we just go out to a Thai restaurant (I always order Pad Thai) or we get Chinese take out, but today I decided to make my own "exotic" food inspired by a delicious cuisine of Thailand. First thing that comes to my mind (besides already mentioned Pad Thai) is coconut milk and curry chicken, so I kind of mixed all the ingredients that seemed to be made for each other and here is what I got! What you need is:

*  1 large chicken breast (cut into cubes)
*  1 large onion (chopped)
*  1 red bell pepper (chopped)
*  1 can coconut milk
*  lemon zest
*  lemon juice (from one lemon)
*  1 tsp grated fresh ginger
*  2 tbsp curry powder
*  1 tbsp turmeric 
*  2 tbsp ketchup
*  1 cup chopped cilantro
*  1 tbsp olive oil
*  salt

1. Saute onions and ginger with the olive oil
2. Add cubed chicken and cook it for 5 minutes, until lightly browned, season with salt, curry powder, turmeric, lemon zest, and lemon juice and cook for 2-3 minutes
3. Add red bell peppers, cilantro, coconut milk, ketchup (trust me, it does magic) and cook for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked and the sauce thickens.
4. Serve it with cooked basmati rice




   It's sweet, salty, a little bit zesty, and just melts in your mouth. I might not sound too confident, but I could not believe how delicious this turned out! I think coconut milk will be my new favorite ingredient!

Enjoy.
Magda


No comments:

Post a Comment