Thursday, May 31, 2012

Curious George!

   Are you curious what I was curious about? Well, some time ago I was looking for canned tuna and suddenly I saw a can of "Pink Salmon". My first thought was: "Ugh! That's disgusting!", but each time I saw it, I was more and more curious about it. Few years later (!) my curiosity took over, and I finally bought one. When I opened the can, I knew right away that you can't really eat it by itself, and that it's going to take a lot of "dressing up" to make it appetizing. So I mixed it with lots of herbs and veggies and made colorful and delicious salmon cakes. Here is the recipe for 10 cakes:

Salmon cakes:

*  2 cans pink salmon
*  1 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
*  1/4 red onion (finely chopped)
*  2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
*  1/4 cup chopped parsley
*  2 eggs (beaten)
*  1/4 cup bread crumbs
*  seasoned salt
*  pepper
*  olive oil

Sauce:

*  1 cup fat-free yogurt
*  1/2 cup pickle relish
*  1/4 cup crushed black olives
*  1 tbsp lemon juice
*  salt and pepper

1. Crush drained salmon and mix it with red onion, bell pepper, thyme an parsley.
2. Add eggs, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper, mix everything until combined, and form patties (the size of medium burger)
3. In a non-stick pan, heat a little bit of olive oil, and saute salmon cakes for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
4. Mix all the ingredients of the sauce, season with salt and pepper to your liking and keep in the fridge until served.




   Who would have thought that you can get such a delicious dish using a not so sexy ingredient? Onions and peppers give it a nice crunch and herbs are flavorful and fresh. If you are a fish lover and looking for some alternatives, this is the dish for you.

Enjoy.
Magda.

2 comments:

  1. What size can? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I didn't write it down. It was 14.75 oz can!
      Good luck,
      Magda

      Delete