Wednesday, March 28, 2012

To shell or not to shell?

   Another busy day? Do you need some comfort food which doesn't involve slaving in the kitchen for hours? I have just the perfect thing, which is fast, easy, fresh, and delicious. Who doesn't like tacos? I think it's Justin's favorite Mexican dish (just after quesadillas) and he likes them in the hard, crunchy shells. I'm not crazy about hard shells because somehow they always break when I bite them and I end up with taco all over my table and floor, and not much in my mouth. So I introduced Justin to a taco salad and I got rid of taco shells and substituted them with crunchy tortilla strips as a topping. What you need is:

*  1 lb ground turkey
*  1 large onion (chopped)
*  2 tomatoes
*  shredded lettuce
*  taco seasoning
*  1 cup chopped cilantro
*  sour cream
*  tortilla strips
*  1 tbsp olive oil

   Saute onions with olive oil, add ground turkey, and cook until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning and a little bit water to create a sauce and cook for 4-5 minutes so all the flavors marry together. That's all you need to do before building the taco salad. Put shredded lettuce on the bottom, top with meat, tomatoes, tortilla strips, cilantro, and sour cream. If you have some salsa you can also add it to the mixture, which will make the salad even better.




   Who needs taco shells? This way it's much easier to eat and you save a lot of calories... which can be used for a big bowl of ice cream as dessert! Isn't it a better solution?

Enjoy.
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment