Friday, February 24, 2012

Now, that's Indian food.

   Did I tell you that I love Indian food? I'm sure I did, but I want to point it out again. Usually I just cook stuff I've seen my friends cooking or I just mix different Indian ingredients and spices and call it "Indian food". This time was different because I finally got the "real" recipe for my favorite lentil soup from a "real" Indian person. A good friend of mine is a very good cook but I can't really enjoy too many of her dishes because she loves her spices... and I mean she LOVES spices! Every time she says: try it I didn't put any heat in it.... I know it's going to burn my mouth. Oh maybe I should mention that I have a really low threshold for heat, if any, so that might be the reason why. Even though I can't take too much heat, I love the flavors and aromas of Indian food. So without further ado here is the recipe for the Masoor Daal:

*  2 cups red lentils
*  1 onion (chopped)
*  2 garlic cloves
*  1-2 tomatoes (chopped)
*  1 cup chopped cilantro
*  2 tsp turmeric
*  1 tsp mustard seeds
*  1 tsp cumin seeds
*  1 tsp curry powder
*  salt
*  chili powder
*  3-4 tbsp vegetable oil

   Before starting the dish wash the lentils and soak them in cold water for at least 1-2 hours. Cook them in a pressure cooker with 5 cups of water, salt, chili powder (as much as you like), 1 tsp of turmeric, half an onion, and garlic for about 5-10 minutes. In the meantime, heat the oil in a pan to a high temperature, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, the rest of the turmeric, curry powder, and the other half of onion, and saute for about 5 minutes. When the lentils are cooked add the onion/spice mixture, chopped tomato, cilantro, and cook everything together for 5 more minutes so all the flavors can combine. Serve it with basmati rice and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.




   Super, duper, extra delicious! Of course I couldn't brag about it without some quality control from my friend. She said it tastes exactly how it should, and what can be a better compliment than that? If you like heat you can add more chili powder or a chopped chili pepper and it should satisfy your "spicy tooth".

Enjoy.
Magda

No comments:

Post a Comment